Information for first time voters

What if I didn't receive a Voter Information Letter?

If you turned 18 within the last four years, you might not be on the voters' list, therefore you might not receive a Voter Information Letter (VIL). Your VIL should be in your mailbox by late September. If you didn't receive one, bring your identification to the City Clerk's office at City Hall to confirm your voter eligibility and receive your letter.

What is a VIL?

You VIL includes all the information you need to vote, including:

  • Your voter identification number and PIN for internet voting
  • Dates and locations for advance voting, including drive-thru voting
  • Locations where you can vote in your ward on Election Day, October 24
  • Voter helpline information
  • Pass for a free transit ride to and from any poll on advance voting days or Election Day.

Can I still vote without a VIL?

Yes you can!  Eligible voters can vote in person without a VIL by bringing identification to any advance poll, or an Election Day poll in your ward. 

Student voting

If you are a Canadian student from outside Thunder Bay, but living in Thunder Bay while you attend school, you are allowed to vote in both your home municipality and Thunder Bay.

Do the unexpected. Take 20 minutes out of your day, do what young people all over the world are dying to do: vote.
Rick Mercer
Canadian comedian, television personality, political satirist, and author

City of Thunder Bay
Office of the City Clerk
500 Donald St. E., 3rd Floor
Thunder Bay, ON P7E 5V3
Phone: (807) 625-2230

Scroll to top